Friday, November 09, 2007

rough draft bibliography introduction #1

My original idea for this paper was to prove to parents and everyone that music needed to stay in schools, but I couldn't find musch information on that, so I had to alter my topic, so the first main topic for my paper started out as "does music help with academics?" but then evolved to "does music increase brain activity?". I found that this made a more general viewpoint, and I found many more sources with the evolved question. I also found that this covered the major points I wanted to discuss in my paper.
My audience started out as students of sociology/psychology/education/music and sociologists/psychologists/teachers/musicians and parents, but I found that that was too many audience members, and that most of these audience members were not the ones that I really needed to focus on. So I chose to focus on the students. They are more likely to be more open to the idea of using music in the classroom. I also wanted to show how the brain develops and how it differs between musicians and non musicians.
Even as I went through my articles, I found that all of them were saying the same thing. Music does increase the brain size. To quote Carina Lee's article, Music really does help your brain, "Grey matter is the tissue component of the brain where a relatively high proportion of neural activity occurs and many nerve cell nuclei can be found in this region." [btw, the function of grey matter is "to route sensory or motor stimulus to interneurons of the CNS in order to create a response to the stimulus through chemical synapse activity...(Narr, 2006).] That shows that the increase of grey matter does make you smarter, which is caused in part by the music. I am definitely not saying it is the only thing, but it is one of them.

No comments: