Monday, November 05, 2007

bibliography...rough draft

  • Demorest,Steven M.; Steven J. Morrison. Music Educators Journal, Vol. 87, No. 2, Special Focus: Music and the Brain. (Sep. 2000), pp. 33-39+58.


This article explores some of the research studies that have proposed connections between musical involvement and general inteligence. Morrison and Demorest explored two series of studies in detail. The first series documents a short-term increase in performance on a spatial reasoning task after listening to Mozart, often referrred as "the Mozart Effect". The second series concluded that piano instruction caused preschoolers to improve on a single test or spatial reasoning ability. The research analyzed how long and when the most improvement would occur.

In my paper I will use these studies as my primary source to enforce my point that music does make you smarter, but it depends on how early you have music instruction. For my secondary source I will use questions I have asked students who are musicians and non musicians.

No comments: